The Society was formed in 1970 to save some of the 1931 ‘Altrincham Electric’ multiple units from the MSJ&AR following replacement by the 1960′s vintage 25kV AC units.
The Society is a focus for local railway interest and has always taken steps to preserve artefacts and records of local railway interest.
This has extended as far as being successful in obtaining listed building status for two of the stations on the line. These two join a third listed station on the line, Oxford Road, which has the distinction of being the first post WWII building to be awarded such recognition.
The Society provides the local community with railway and public transport based events and information, these include frequent public lectures, regular visits to places of railway interest, historical displays, celebration of historical dates and events, pamphlets, books, images and videos.
The Society is also a member of the Heritage Railway Association
The preserved coaches can be visited at the Midland Railway-Butterley